The Lafayette family has had a great weekend. Saturday morning we celebrated with Rick as he GRADUATED from Trevecca Nazarene University. He went back to school to get his bachelor’s degree and is finally finished. He was one fine looking graduate, I must say. The graduation was outside (the day turned out to be gorgeous) and it was beautiful. We took the girls and they did pretty well. Considering we were there for almost 4 hours. They started asking for snacks at 8:20 am! Good thing I brought along plenty. . . and an array of coloring books and crayons. Rick’s parents were there along with my dad and step-mom. And I have to say that the graduation ceremony at a Christian university is MUCH different than at a secular university. The speeches were phenomenal and the whole service pointed to God and his glory. It was unbelievable. I loved it.
Here were some of the funnier moments of the morning:
1) A bumper sticker that said, “I didn’t claw my way up the food chain to eat vegetables.”
2) When Noni pointed out the American flag to Ava Jane – the one with the red and white stripes and the stars and Ava Jane responds, “No, Noni. That is the hockey flag.” I guess she has only seen the flag at the one Predators hockey game that she has been to, and clearly that was the hockey flag to her!
3) My chair that was in the wet grass that sank into the muddy ground as soon as I sat down.
4) The fact that two times we almost had a domino effect of people falling on top of one another. . . primarily because my heel sunk into the mud when I stood up and I lost my balance. It could have been really bad.
5) My girls managed to find a fountain of water and play in it and get soaking wet – imagine that!
Graduation was followed by lunch at Jack’s, a family favorite. Thanks dad and Karen for treating us to a great meal. We did make it home for naps (which the girls didn’t take all week long). Later in the afternoon we went to see the progress on our house and it is looking good. They are framing it and have most of the second story in place now. Yeah! It can’t be ready fast enough. We enjoyed a cookout with some friends while the kids ran around and played outside. We had some great conversation and spent lots of the night laughing. Those are the best times!
Today (Sunday) was my birthday! Ava Jane told me this morning that I was old. Thanks, babe. I had lots of birthday wishes from friends and family. Church was good. I learned something in my connect group today and enjoyed a wonderful time of worship through song during the service. We came home for leftovers and decided to forgo the naps once again for some outside playtime. We spent the better part of the afternoon outside. . . at the creek, by the lake, at the park. My mom came in town this afternoon for my birthday. She always comes in for our birthdays. I just love that. We got pizza and took it to the park to eat and play. And then to Baskin Robbins for ice cream cones for mommy’s birthday. That is what the girls wanted to do. It makes me happy to see them enjoy something so much. And there isn’t too much they enjoy more than an ice cream cone! The rest of the night I have spent chatting with my mom. I love getting to talk to her in person since I don’t see her too often.
I have had a fabulous birthday and a phenomenal weekend overall! I am excited that my mom will be here all day tomorrow and Tuesday til lunch! We are sure to have a great time. And the girls love to see their Mimi! I hope your week is a good one.